[TR] Over heating

Jerry Van Vlack jerryvv at roadrunner.com
Sat Mar 16 09:07:49 MDT 2013

You may have misunderstood the comment. When you turn the engine off there
is no flow of coolant but no heat being generated either. The heat generated
when running will build for a while and then start to cool down naturally if
engine is off long enough. By starting and stopping engine in heavy traffic
you are generating less heat overall and the flow of cooler coolant from the
radiator will bring the engine temp down pretty quickly. So shutting the
engine off and starting does not generate more heat and cause overheating.
If you have an electric fan and can run it during engine shutdown that will
cool the water in the radiator and allow even quicker cool down when you
start the engine again.
JVV