[TR] TR6 carb neadles

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Mar 11 12:45:00 MDT 2013

> got new jets but no new needle. what
> the heck?

That's so you can substitute the B1E needles that supposedly work better with E10 (according to Joe Curto).

> first how do you get that jet out?

This will sound somewhat heretical, but what about just leaving the jet alone?  Unlike the earlier fixed needle carbs, the jets rarely wear on the later carbs with the spring-loaded needles.

As noted, it is pressed into place.  Some simple mandrels are called for, you probably don't want to put pressure on the entire carb body.  And there is no positive location for position (even though the position is somewhat critical), so be sure to measure the old position and duplicate it.

> how do you get the needle out?

Read the excellent series of articles on how to rebuild ZS carbs at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/technical.htm

> and the needle was wobbly. you could push it
> sideways a little. is that normal? yes we had the little grub screw screwed in
> and the little brass collar turned so the slot lined up with the grub screw..
>
> also we could pull the needle down and it would pop back in like its on a
> spring. is that normal?

Yes, and yes.  Obviously you don't want to pull too hard as the spring is what locates the needle in normal operation.

--- Randall