[TR] When to rebuild

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Mar 10 16:22:13 MDT 2013

> Ah, yes.  We tend to forget the history of engine
> development.  In the early days there was the total loss
> oiling systems.  Then the concept of reusing the oil was
> introduced.  This led to oil filtering (bypass filtering).

You left out the amusing part : Some car makers claimed that filtering the
oil was unnecessary!

My first car (a 62 Chevy) had the optional, bypass oil filter canister
mounted on a bracket, with external lines to an oil gallery and the side of
the crankcase.  Oddly enough, Triumph had already been using full-flow
filters for 6 or 7 years (and my Chevy also had the rope rear main seal),
showing again that they were actually innovative cars for their time.

Shame they couldn't keep it up.

-- Randall