[TR] When to rebuild

Dave Massey dave1massey at cs.com
Sun Mar 10 06:15:54 MDT 2013

 Ah, yes.  We tend to forget the history of engine development.  In the early
days there was the total loss oiling systems.  Then the concept of reusing the
oil was introduced.  This led to oil filtering (bypass filtering).  Then full
flow filtering.  Oil sealing improved in incremental steps in the same manner.
As did our expectations.  The change to leaving drops instead of puddles was
considered a great improvement.  Now we complain about a light oil film on the
exterior of the engine.

But my comments were relevant to lip seals as found in TR6 and other SC
derived engines.

Dave Massey