[TR] TR6 Door Lock removal

suhringtr36 at comcast.net suhringtr36 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 3 10:17:28 MST 2013

I have been taking care of the "small" announces on my '70 TR6 that do not
inhibit my driving, but have remained on the to do list for some time.  One of
them is the "privacy" door lock on the driver's side door.  When I go to lock
the door, the cylindar partially comes out of the hole in the door, but the
door will lock. So, upon removing the door panel (back end at least) you can
see the lock slide outward on the side that does not have the collar leg that
is to secure the lock to the door.  All I can figure is that I have 2
passenger side locks since the passenger side also only has one collar leg,
but it is facing away frmo the door jam and therefore, with that on one side
and the lock fork on the other, the two hold the lock steady in the hole.  So,
I need to remove the lock from the door to see of I can fix this.  The problem
I am facing is how to push in the collar leg so I can push out the lock
cylindar through the hole.  I canot hold it in tight enough with my one finger
to allow it to slide and I canot for the life of me figure out what sort of
tool to use that would hold this in while allowing the lock to slide out. I
have tried a screw drive to press it in, but this did not work.  The manula
says use an appropriate tool, but I have no idea what this might be.  Anyone
BTDT that can help.  TIA

Scott Suhring
Mechanicsburg,PA
'70 TR6