[TR] Me and my clutch again

thenicholls at verizon.net thenicholls at verizon.net
Mon Jun 24 19:35:36 MDT 2013

Hope everyone on the list is well.

1972 Triumph TR6.  Wrote the list 2 years ago when I replaced the clutch master and slave and was unable to get the car into gear without putting the rod from the slave in the top hole and not the middle hole per the manual.  The clutch was described as on its last leg when I had the pre-inspection done 8 years ago.

Many on the list said they ran that way, and I have been for 2 years.

This spring, clutch master was leaking inside the car on my Wilton wool carpet.

Had my car club over, replaced master and slave cylinder, mounted rod in the top hole, bled the system, and took a test drive.  All good.  Had a beer.

Took two more drives, and then it was getting difficult to get the car into first or reverse.

Have the car up on the ramps tonight, removed the rod from slave, checked how it was back together, and by the time I was done, I cannot get the car into any gear.  Its a paperweight.

I was told to take the cap off the master and push in the clutch.  The fluid did NOT go down.  What does this mean?  Also was advise to re-bleed the system again, several people saying that after driving a bit it is necessary.  The clutch pedal feels mushy, and the other thing I note is when the pedal is not depressed, under the car the rod is not returning all the way.

I am open to suggestions, thanks.

Craig
Vienna, VA