[TR] 57 TR3 compression test results

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jun 21 11:00:36 MDT 2013

> Should I replace all of them at the
> same time, even if the rest test fine?

Tough call.  Most people will say to replace, but it kind of depends on your
future plans.  Will worn rings be the reason you tear it down next time?  If
so, new rings now may delay that day.  But if you'll never drive it that
far, then maybe it makes sense to keep the old rings.  It also depends on
what you find in #1.  If the piston or liner (cylinder wall) is damaged, it
may make more sense to replace the entire liner set.

> the way ??  There appear to be two sets of bearings, the con
> rod beargings and the main bearings, is one of these more
> likely to be the issue than the other?

Con rod bearings live a harder life; are more likely to be worn or damaged
IMO.  But IMO it would be foolish to not plan on replacing both anyway.
Also check the crank journals carefully and have them reground if necessary.
If one main bearing shows more wear than the others, have the crank & block
checked for straightness.  TR blocks aren't known for warping, but it does
sometimes happen.  If so, you may want to just look for another used motor,
rather than trying to save the block you have.

> Randall, I changed the headgasket probably 150 miles ago and
> the head at least looked fine.

Good.  Hopefully it will still look that way.  But repairs to cast iron are
rarely as strong as the original (that wasn't strong enough).  You've gone
to a lot of expense and effort to get the engine apart; it makes sense (to
me) to check as much as possible, especially the areas that have been a
problem in the past.

-- Randall