[TR] ethanol in gasoline

Frank Fisher yellowtr3 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 12 14:23:33 MDT 2013

seems my post on this topic never made it, so ill resend.

I wonder what kind
of rubber we are getting from china. we wont/cant pay for domestic parts when
built in small quantities and new old stock rubber is well on its way in its
life cycle.

here in Temecula California I live in desert conditions. peek
summer temperatures can get to 115 ambient and substantially greater from heat
soaked areas like the pavement and buildings.

there is one outlet in town
that still sells fully leaded 112 octane gas. it runs about 14.00 a gallon.
for off road use as "race fuel" only. no ethanol. because I don't do that many
miles I was running the TR3 on it until the local laws caught up with me. one
must now produce a race license to be able to buy the fuel. no race license
here so no more leaded gas for me.
I was able to run leaded fuel for over a
year. I do not see any noticeable performance or degrading rubber difference
on running California unleaded to the leaded gas I was using before.

cant recall the last time my modern day car would not start. but I do recall
the days back in the UK when coming out of the house and hoping the car would
start to get me to work on time. I recall lots of issues that caused my car
not to start. including the fact I did little maintenance because I was poor.
I also recall the diaphragms on the ZS carbs where a constant source of
failure. they would fail about every 12 months as I recall now.

I help
maintain 2 friends Triumphs here in Temecula. 2-TR3's and a TR6. had them on
the road about 4 years now.
we have had a few issues that in hindsight could
well have been the same problems we had 40 years ago. so I find it hard to say
modern fuel is hurting my rubber parts.