[TR] Ethanol

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jun 6 06:21:32 MDT 2013

> Modern cars utilize closed pressurized fuel systems.  Our vintage cars do
> not.  On hot days (and there are a lot of them in Las Vegas) the fuel will
> literally vaporize (evaporate/boil) in the float bowls,

FWIW, one of Joe's carb heat shields helped a lot with that problem in my
TR3.

But I don't think it is the ethanol itself causing the problem, but rather
the nation-wide vapor pressure specifications that came with it.
Gasoline/petrol is a blend of petro chemicals; and refiners have always
adjusted the blend to best suit local conditions.  Now they face stiff fines
if they don't follow the EPA requirements.  Hopefully this will be much less
of an issue in the UK (which in any case is remarkably short of desert
conditions <g>)

Randall