[TR] Build date question

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Thu Jul 4 06:57:22 MDT 2013

Al,

According to "Dating Information" in one of Bill Piggott's Original Triumph
 books I have, 1971 models started production with commission number
CC58298L  some time in 1970.  That said, it's not uncommon to find cars built
earlier  than the "official" factory model change date to be titled as the next
year  model.

CC54740LO is close enough to CC58298L to be likely titled as a 1971  model.
 What is puzzling is that you have a commission plate on the door  and the
B post....the plates were fitted from the factory to the B post....I  don't
have any reference of plates ever being fitted to a door.

One guess is that, at some point, body work/paint work was done and the
shop technician replaced the plate to the door.  A bit later in time,  another
person pointed out that the B post should have a plate and a repro plate
(without the O) was stamped and put on the B post.

Regardless, it sounds like you have a legitimate deal.....just a simple
mix-up in the placement of the plates.

If you want to be "period correct" you could remove the correct plate  from
the door and replace the plate on the B post with it.  Use a couple of
metal screws in the holes left by the door plate....only a concours judge
would probably ever wonder what those two screws were for!

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA
1962 TR4  CT2052L

In a message dated 7/4/2013 7:41:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,