[TR] Battery trickle charger

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 29 07:21:15 MST 2013

> I replaced a 12 volt battery in my RV (for towing the
> Spitfire race car) with two six volt batteries (to get more
> amp hours/storage) wired in series to get 12 volts. Question
> is do I charge it with a 6 volt or  12 volt charger? Maybe 12
> if I hook the charger to where the pos and neg cables attach.

My choice would be to leave them connected in series and use a smart 12v
charger.  Lots less hassle than trying to charge each one individually and
equally; or reconnecting in parallel (so you can charge both at once at 6v).
There may be some advantage to using two 6v chargers (which would allow
leaving the batteries connected in series), but not enough to worry about
IMO.

As a side note, my old Winnebago had an AC charger built into the motorhome,
such that it would charge the 'camping' batteries when the coach was plugged
in.  But it was a 'dumb' charger and I blamed it for shortening the battery
life.  Likely the newer ones are better, but if you leave it plugged in for
long periods of time, you might want to look into that.  And if your RV
already has a smart charger, maybe just use that.

-- Randall