[TR] TR3B timing chain slack

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Mon Jan 28 19:27:57 MST 2013

     When I pulled my TR3 engine apart, I found that the timing chain
tensioner was gone completely and that the timing chain had a removable link
that was missing in one side (towards the block). The pin on the chain link
for the removable link had been rubbing against the front plate and had cut
about a.01" groove in it. I lined the broken removable link up with the oil
spillway and flicked it with my finger and the link fell out and the timing
chain fell off of the engine. I had thrashed that engine without mercy and it
had stayed together. I found the removable link in the oil pan. Lord knows how
long it had been there, maybe decades... Those little tractor engines are
pretty tough.

     I wouldn't be too concerned with slack as long as you got
the chain from somewhere respectable and put the tensioner back in when the
cover goes on.

     -Bill in Tehachapi