[TR] Your own T5 Conversion

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Wed Jan 23 18:46:39 MST 2013

On 1/23/2013 5:50 PM, Randall wrote:
>> We're getting to the point where a 3D printer could produce the bell housing.
> We're already there.  I read an article just the other day about a printer that could easily handle a bellhousing in several kinds of metal:
> http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1392&doc_id=256731&dfpPParams=ind_183,industry_auto,bid_27,aid_256731&dfpLayout=blog
> "Potential materials include high-grade steel alloys, tool steels, aluminum or titanium alloys, nickel-based superalloys, and cobalt-chromium alloys."
>
> All it takes is money at the moment.  But I expect the prices to continue dropping dramatically as the printers gain acceptance.  Some home units are already below $1500 (though they don't handle metal or anything as big as a bellhousing).  And the 'toner' is still expensive too, from what I hear.

Would be a fun toy to have in the shop (although I suspect the purchase
price would equal a fleet of Maybachs).  But, geez, using a laser "in
the kilowatt range...?"  With a kilowatt CO2 laser, you could cut a
bridge in half....

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....