[TR] winter driving/side curtains

John Wise tr3a.60 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 07:29:08 MST 2013

I did my graduate work at Univ of Pittsburgh and at the time I had a 58 MGA.
The first year I drove an over an hour each way (we were living with my
in-laws to save money) driving up and down the Western Penn hills to to & from
the University.  I never got stuck (I had been a USAF pilot & used a lot of
energy management skills).  But I did carry "single loop" plastic chains just
in case.  I made a few mods to my side curtains to hold them relatively tight
to the windscreen at speed.  In addition I always wore my USAF Survival parka
and heavy gloves during the winter.  The "heater" kind of kept my toes from
from frostbite inside my USAF jump-boots and heavy socks.

The last three years we lived in Pittsburgh and my major challenge was getting
up the rather steep hill to our home on snowy nights.  The streets were brick
and worn rather smooth from decades of use.  Energy management was tough
because I have to a 90 degree turn on the steep hill - so I employed the
single loop chains many nights and continued to wear my survival parka.  :-)

Ah, those are the days.  :-)

John

John Wise
Ormond Beach, FL