[TR] TR3 Gear Ratios

Alex&Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Wed Jan 23 04:49:57 MST 2013

My brother installed the rack & pinion kit on a TR3A and the difference was
unimaginable. With the kit, you could actually steer the car, effort was
half of what it was and you could keep it straight on the road without
exercising your wrists all the time. Of course, the original steering gear
could have been well wiped out and a new sector, worm and bushings could
have solved the problems. The only issue that I noticed was that the new tie
rod ends seemed to be at an extreme downward angle to meet the steering
arms. Also, the regular fan has to be ditched for an electric fan in order
to free up sufficient room for the rack. I can't remember who sold the kit
but the end result was that the car was much more pleasant to drive.

Alex Thomson