[TR] TR4A

G.D. Huggins guy at genfiniti.com
Wed Jan 9 20:53:05 MST 2013

John,

First, I admire your bravery and spirit.  A frame-off restoration of any
vintage car is a daunting task, and like marriage, is not to be entered into
lightly.

I completed a frame-off restoration of a 1965 TR4A from roughly 2004 - 2011.
The car is now a pleasure to drive, and it even won first place for Concours
Modified at the VTR South Central Region convention for 2012.

I did not lay a hand on the car for roughly one year; all I did was study.
I used the Roger Williams book as my primary guide, as well as priceless
advice from the folks on this list.
After a year of studying, I decided I could in fact be successful in taking on
the project.
So, I recommend you purchase the Williams book, get the electronic version of
the Bentley manual,  get the catalogs, and study the vehicle very thoroughly.
If you still decide to move forward with the project, and the commitment
(time, money and relationships) it entails, then turn a wrench.

You may think money is a precious commodity now, but my experience says that
time is far more precious.
The last thing you want is a half-finsihed project that you are begging
someone to take off your hands.
Like Jesus said, no one wants a half-finished tower they cannot complete.
Make sure you are counting the cost, and that you are committed to taking on
those costs.

While I was working on my TR4A, I managed to document a lot of my work at
http://www.genfiniti.com/triumph.
I maintained this site as a diary of sorts, to help others along the way.

I would be happy to follow your progress, and offer support and advice.
But, like I eluded to before, the folks on this mailing list were my biggest
helpers and cheerleaders.

On Jan 9, 2013, at 8:20 PM, john-marie at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> Hi all list members,
>
> My first post.  I am about to begin a frame off restoration on a TR4A.  Am
> looking for a restoration guide to help me along.  I have found three doing
an
> internet search.  They are a little pricey, so I would like to invest in
the
> best one.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  TIA.
>
> John DeLuca
>
> ** triumphs at autox.team.net **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive