[TR] TR4 Over Rider Support Tubes

Keith Stewart keithstewart at execulink.com
Sun Jan 6 09:19:35 MST 2013

I have a 1962 TR4 (CT6716LO). I bought the car in 1966. It has bumper over
rider support tubes. I just purchased another fully restored TR4 (originally
from California). It does not have the support tubes.

When I discussed this with the owners of the business where I purchased the
car, they advised me that none of the TR4s that have ever passed through their
hands have ever had the support tubes. Most of their cars have come from
California.

When I look at TR4 pictures on the various owner, club, and registry sites,
the photos often do not reveal the presence or absence of the support tubes
because either the over riders block the view or the colour/reflection in the
area of the over rider make it unclear. Of those pictures where it is clear,
the majority do not have the support tubes but many do.

Do any of you original owners have information on whether these were included
or if there was a cut off date for supplying them? Clearly they were intended
as there are holes through the grille for them and a welded nut on the over
rider for attachment but were they perhaps dropped to save a few dollars?
Maybe John has a "factory anecdote" about them. TIA for your input

Keith R. Stewart
London, Ontario
E-Mail: keithstewartATexeculinkDOTcom