[TR] TR3A OD switch question

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Feb 10 21:19:57 MST 2013

IMO there is enough confusion over this topic that no one can say with
certainty what is "correct".  So might as well suit yourself.

Just to illustrate the confusion, Piggott clearly shows a switch installed
in a RHD car, with the lettering on the right and hence the toggle on the
inboard side.  The caption mentions that the switch is in the "correct
position", but doesn't comment about orientation.  However, the photo on
page 8 of "Practical Hints" shows the toggle on the outboard side! (on a RHD
car of course).

Personally, I prefer the toggle on the inboard side as it puts the lever
just slightly closer to my fingers; so I don't have to move my hand as far
to flip the switch while driving.

I think there is no question that down was on, originally.  But TS39781LO
had it reversed when it came to me, so I kept that arrangement.

Even though the original hole in the dash is D-shaped, you can achieve all 4
configurations by removing the 3 screws from the body of the switch and
assembling appropriately.  The mounting shaft will engage with the case in
either orientation, and the wires can be moved to get "on" in either
position.

-- Randall