[TR] off topic question about 1993 Oldsmobile Sierra cutlass

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Feb 8 11:00:57 MST 2013

I'd try a different shop.  I had the pump done on my 95 Buick and the charge including the pump was under $500 just a couple of years ago.  In my case though, they discovered that the tank was bad as well.  Had to scour the country to find one, and it wound up being another $500 with shipping.

Might be worth a try installing an in-line pump.  The in-tank pump is probably the same as mine, and it is a centrifugal design, so I would think that an external pump would be able to suck enough fuel through it and the pick up screen.  Be sure to get a pump that will deliver at least 40 psi, though.  Install close to the tank and down as low as possible, to make it easier for it to suck enough fuel.

I don't recall offhand if my Buick has a return line or not.  If your daughter's Olds doesn't have one, you'll probably have to add one.  The reason they put the pumps inside the tank is to keep them cool, but an external pump is cooled by the fuel flowing through it.  With nearly no fuel flowing at idle, the pump may heat the fuel enough to cause vapor lock.

Randall