[TR] TR6 Seat frame common problems

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Sun Feb 3 08:32:16 MST 2013

I don't know if I have great words of wisdom as to how to preserve the seat
frames, but I will say that I know they can rust, my TR250 frames were
mostly crumbly red flakes on the bottom portions.  I spent quite a bit of
time fabricating and welding and grinding up some fiddly little bits to
repair it.

But this was on a car that had been stored indoors and outdoors and who
knows where for many years, unless you live in a very corrosive environment,
such as down by the ocean the things should last pretty long with a fresh
coat of paint.  I like to use Rust Oleum rusty metal primer followed by the
appropriate top coat color from them, and have painted many parts as well as
rusty cast iron outdoor furniture with the stuff and it seems to hold
corrosion at bay pretty well.

Or you could use epoxy primer, but that may be overkill.

Let us know how the foam replacement goes, I put a 1/2" thick foam piece in
the seat base to bolster up the seats (which worked pretty well) and to try
to control the  crumbling of the stuff that was in there, but mine still
leave lots of little bits of foam rubber under the seats.

Greg Lemon