[TR] Ye olde dashboard

John Wise john.a.wise at mac.com
Sat Dec 28 08:35:52 MST 2013

In the for what it is worth category.

A long, long time ago (1968?) and in a place far, far away (Webb Air Force
Patch in W Texas), I decided my 58 MGA would look much better with a wood
dash. (Jet jocks need a snappy looking sports car.) So I went down to the
local lumber yard & bought a appropriate sized piece of wood (too long ago to
remember what kind) and after a lot of hole cutting and fitting/refitting, I
varnished it and put it in that trusty MGA.  I kept the car as my daily driver
for 15 more years in Pittsburgh, St Louis, and then back in Pittsburgh.  All
places with hot, muggy summers and cold, miserable winters.  And when I sold
the car, the dash was as solid and crack free as when I put it in.

John

John Wise
John.A.Wise at mac.com

http://wisegroupllc.org/_/Johns_Resume.html

On  28 Dec, 2013, at 10:08 AM, Chris Simo <ccsimonsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi John - I tend to agree with Jack on the plywood, but have seen a few
> solid dashes hold up ok (but seen more cracked ones)
>
> I just refinished one for our TR6 that we raffled off for charity and it
> had a crack in it - but was able to glue it up and it refinished just fine.
>
> for me - I recently put veneer over the dash from the 73.  it was mostly
> in good shape but was delaminated in places so I glued and clamped those
> places back together.  Here's a link - There was a really detailed
> instuction out there but i can't find it right now.
>
> http://ffr5355.wordpress.com/about/p-dashboard-construction/
>
> I'll see if I can lay my dash on the scanner and send you some images - you
> might beable to print them and see how it fits - enlarge or adjust as
> needed.
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
2013-02-18_19-28-32_684 (1).jpg]

> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
2013-02-19_20-59-17_158 (2).jpg]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/john.a.wise@mac.com