[TR] Electric fan and new halogen sealed beam headlights

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Dec 8 09:09:15 MST 2013

> So i'll be playing with wiring this afternoon.  Re-route the
> power to the
> fan (I put an inline fuse in there already!).

Just a thought, Chris, rather than rewiring the fan so the ammeter can show charge while the battery is running down; why not add a
shunt to the ammeter so it can indicate the total load?  In effect, the shunt recalibrates the ammeter for a higher full scale
reading.  I chose 60 amps (since I had a 60 amp alternator) but you could go for any other value with a little calculation.

http://tinyurl.com/mzlgvua

That's the result from my second version, where I measured the ammeter resistance (1.2 milliohms) and calculated that a 3.6" length
of 16 AWG copper wire (4 milliohms per foot) would make a 50% shunt.

But for the original version, I just kept adding strands of steel "baling" wire across the ammeter until I got the result I wanted.
With engine off, headlights on, I checked the ammeter reading and then kept adding strands until the deflection was half of the
original value.

>  I'll order
> materials to
> relay the headlights, It's on my to do list- but I never do it.....

Another photo that you might find interesting.  I later redid without the sockets.

http://tinyurl.com/kbzov2a

Randall