[TR] TR6 and Miata Seats

Bob 75tr6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Sat Aug 31 20:49:20 MDT 2013

Hi Bill.... a few observations/comments on Miata seats.... having had both
rebuilt TR6 seats and Miata seats:

- I totally rebuilt & recovered my '75 TR6 seats and they were very
comfortable but not as comfortable as Miata seats.
- The headrest of the later TR6 seats offers no head protection versus the
integrated Miata headrest. Triumph should have stuck with the early seats
that offered head/neck protection.... having been rear-ended I know the
value of head/neck support.
- Some guys will tell you that they sit higher in a Miata seat but I bet
they're comparing them to TR6 seats with bad foam and broken diaphragms. My
TR6 seats had good foam and good diaphragms so I found that I sat at the
same height.
- Miata seats offer the option of headrest speakers....... great sound that
can be heard at "speed".
- The brackets on eBay are made by A.R.E.  or Joe and Drew
Alexander.......... I've made my own, used A.R.E.'s and finally settled on
the brackets made by Rick Patton
(http://pattonmachine.com/Miata-Brackets.htm) Rick's brackets cost more but
are simple to install and once installed remain in place. Then seat removal
is a 4 bolt, 5 minute process. I highly recommend them.
- Mr. Mike (http://mrmikes.com/miatahome.htm) makes great seat covers in a
variety of colors and styles for Miata seats....... NFI but a great guy to
do business with.
- The last year you can buy is 1999. Anything after that will have a fit
problem at the shoulder...... i.e. the bracket for the folding top will
interfere with the seat and need to be modified.
- You should be able to find seats for +/- $150 or so.
- Go through my site (http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/MiataSeats1.htm) on
buying/installing Miata seats and email me with any questions.

Bob

Bob Danielson
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/

1975 TR6 modified with: