[TR] Mystery S/N or VIN

Keith Stewart keithstewart at execulink.com
Sat Aug 24 08:28:10 MDT 2013

I have seen those STC tags on cars at shows. Mine is definitely unlike those.
It is closer in appearance to the body number plate but it is not the body
number plate as that also exists and is more closely aligned with the
commission number plate. Someone mentioned a chassis tag. I have seen numbers
stamped on Commission Plates, Body Number Plates, engines, gearboxes and diffs
but I have never seen a tag or stamping on a chassis. The Bentley manual (and
others) show the various plates and stampings but do not show a plate similar
to this or a chassis plate/stamp. Were there numbers on the chassis?

Keith Stewart
keithstewart at execulink.com

On 2013-08-23, at 7:20 PM, Randall <tr3driver at ca.rr.com> wrote:

> ---- Don Hiscock <don.hiscock at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Generally similar tags have been seen on CA cars that were carried over
>> from one year's inventory to the next (per John Warfield).  The formatting
>> was completely different though -- those tags had something like ST-63 or
>> similar.
>
> FWIW, here's a shot of an STC tag.  I've seen several others, they weren't
always the same color but the size, shape and script was always the same.
> http://tinyurl.com/2awrm8l
> (Sorry for the poor photo, that was my first digital camera and it didn't
have macro mode or even 1/2 megapixel resolution.)