[TR] tr-3 ignition light on dash

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 20 21:50:00 MDT 2013

> Is it the voltage regulator that controls this small light?
> I have had one event of weak battery (its a new battery) so I
> have wondered about the electrical system.  Checked the
> dynamo and output fluctuates (due to varying
> idle?) between 10-15 volts, so I think that is good.

Well, that would be consistent with the cutout not working.  But the light
should be out when the voltage matches the battery, so I'm wondering if
there is a wiring problem somewhere.

> Are these adjustments
> commonly needed?  Easy to do?

In my limited experience, the cutout not closing (which causes the light to
stay on) is not usually a matter of adjustment.  Well, except in the sense
that poor adjustment may lead to a failure that causes the light to stay on.
I learned about that the hard way, which is why most of my TR experience is
with a Ford alternator <g>

However, a good cleaning of the contacts might get it going again, and the
voltage regulator contacts pretty much have to be disassembled for cleaning
(meaning you get to adjust them afterwards).

The adjustments aren't particularly hard, IMO, but you do need to understand
the intent.  For some reason the books all list the mechanical adjustments
second, but they really need to be done (or at least checked) first.

The booklet at
http://tinyurl.com/bab2hsc
Gives a pretty good set of tests, and a summary of the adjustment procedure
in parts 1 & 2 (ignore 3 & 4, they don't apply to TR2-4A).

-- Randall