[TR] Au/He 3000 mk3 for sale

spook01@comcast.net spook01 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 18 11:46:13 MDT 2013

In the early eighties I used to import Mercedes, Ferrari, Porsche, Maserati, etc. because the dollar was super strong.
During the same period, though, due to a fluke in British import taxation, I sold many slightly funky cars into England.
I suspect your Australian took part in this little crack in taxes, too.
If a car was imported as a parts car, taxes were significantly lower than on a nice and complete car.
In the early eighties, the dollar reached an exchange rate of 3.58 German marks per.
The lira...well, I used to joke that if you wanted to feel like a millionaire, pay for breakfast!
Money was made on Mercedes primarily because MBNA had agreed to pay a set number of dollars for cars, so as the worth of the dollar climbed, the dollars paid bought more DM.  Mercedes was making out like bandits!  A 500SEL sold through a dealer here was priced nearly 20k more than a better equipped 500SEL brought in, esp. if you used a personal one time exemption.  MBNA HATED it.
International classic car selling is basically money speculation.  (The American dollar is so weak now, other currencies are being considered for reserve currency status for the first time in 80 years.)
So, if the want maximum numbers of dollars for your car, now's a good time to sell overseas.  If you're overseas, and want to pay less numbers of euros or pounds for a classic, now's the time to shop America.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone