[TR] Pushrods tr4 engine won't go back down.

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 6 12:34:50 MDT 2013

---- Jaap Dekker <tr3 at chello.nl> wrote:
> Thank you for answering, Jerry. Help from the list is much apreciated.
> I have a new original gasket, could that be adapted for 89 mm?

You will need to check carefully, but most likely not.  If the gasket ring around the cylinder hangs out into the cylinder, then the gasket is not likely to last for long at all.  You really need a gasket made for the 89mm liners (which AFAIK are all solid metal gaskets, not composites like the original gaskets).

Since it seems that you are mostly interested in a reliable engine; my suggestion would be to stick with the 87mm liners.  The 89mm units are really custom made racing parts (which is why the price is nearly double that of the 87mm liners), and I've been told that they tend to aggravate any tendency to overheat.

Of course, I've never been one to take my own advice, so I have a set of 89mm liners on the shelf to go along with a lot of other parts that will probably reduce reliability (but hopefully increase the fun factor).  So YMMV and all that.

PS, I forget who offhand, but someone has suggested turning Delrin buttons to locate the gudgeon pins, rather than relying on circlips.  You aren't the first to have the circlips come out, with the damage you have observed.

Randall