[TR] TR3A Starter Solenoid buzzing

Art McEwen amcewen2 at cogeco.ca
Mon Apr 22 17:28:32 MDT 2013

On 4/22/2013 6:59 PM, Randall wrote:
> ---- Art McEwen <amcewen2 at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>> I'm assuming there's nothing I can do to fix it (tried hitting it with a
>> ratchet handle already so don't suggest that)?
> You might want to check that the battery connections are clean and tight; and that the battery itself is in good shape.  It's been awhile since I was inside a TR3 solenoid, but I don't recall it having the "buzzer" (aka pull-in coil) that many more modern solenoids have.
Cleaned the terminals and replaced a crack battery connector (new last
year) and it fired right up.  That's when I found the fuel leak ;)

> Your Trombetta solenoid will probably work OK, if it is intended for automotive applications.  The cables might not fit though, I believe most of them use 5/16" studs while the original TR3 solenoid was 1/4".
Yeah the posts do look bigger but the leads look a bit bigger then the
OEM ones so I might have been able to make it fit.  I'll throw it in the
boot for now

Thanks all.