[TR] engine stands

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Apr 12 13:23:05 MDT 2013

---- Andrew Uprichard <auprichard at uprichard.net> wrote:
> I am thinking of getting an engine stand.  I see Harbor Freight has a couple
> of 1000lb stands.  Questions:  is 1000 Ok for a TR3 engine and (overdrive)
> gearbox combination and does anyone have experience with the Harbor Freight
> ones?

What HF calls an "engine stand" is not intended for hanging an engine plus gearbox on.  The engine mounts to it via the rear flange.

I have the discontinued 750 lb engine stand from HF, it works well enough for me.
http://goo.gl/kEQVs
The main difference is that it only has 3 wheels and is correspondingly less stable (which can be a concern if you are trying to move it over a rough floor with an engine on).  It's had a TR4 engine block hanging on it for probably 20 years now and is still holding fine.

IIRC I had to source some suitable bolts, though.  The ones that came with it were not long enough.

Randall