[TR] Thermostats

Dixie4 dixie4.wales at virgin.net
Tue Apr 9 04:35:51 MDT 2013

As I recall the recommended temp range for most cars of 50/60s era and later
would be 180 so 179 would seem right. Sometimes a different temp would be
recommended for winter and summer same as oil viscosity. Not exactly sure of
the temp recommendation for the TR3.
The lower rated of the two you have is the type that would probably be
originally fitted to diesel engine cars and trucks where the requirement is
for the stat to open earlier owing to the extra heat generated by much
higher compression pressures. Also it is a possible short term fix if a
petrol powered car overheats easily. The right opening temp improves running
efficiency and economy. Ideally the TR engine requires a skirted thermostat
to restrict the flow though the bypass.
On a final personal note engine rebuilds are expensive and bellows type
thermostats were and are notorious for failure so I would not like to risk
it. Junk the bellows type as it must have been manufactured 40+ years ago
and fit a 'Waxstat' type with a suitably modded skirt. Many ideas of how to
do this have been discussed on the 'List' over the years.

Adrian TR4A CT64306 O
Wales UK