[TR] control head "roller" and electrics

tr3driver at ca.rr.com tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Sep 27 15:42:04 MDT 2012

Sounds like multiple poor connections to me, and possibly some mis-wiring as well.

> I can turn on
> the ignition switch and hit the starter and it turns starter as well as turns
> on the ignition warning light.

The warning light should come on immediately after turning on the key, not wait until you hit the starter button.  That's an easy one to work on, so I would probably solve that first.  (The problem(s) you find may affect the other issues.)  When the key is first turned on, one side of the light gets 12v from the ignition (white wire from ignition switch), while the other side is grounded through the generator (yellow wire from terminal D on the control box).  Get out your test light or DMM and see which of those voltages is wrong.

>  After several times of switching on and
> off.............everything goes dead.  no ignition warning light and no
> starter response................... although the starter does turn from the
> solenoid on the firewall.

Bad connection somewhere, obviously.  Get to that state, then start probing along the circuit to the ignition switch.  I would probably start at the two brown wires on the fuse block (which should both have 12v on them).  Then the brown/white at terminal A on the control box, and brown/blue at terminal A1.  If the NU wire has 12v but still no joy at the dash, then move under the dash and check out the two NU wires on the headlight switch.

>  Am wondering about control box.

Although it may have problems as well, it should not affect any of the problems above.

--- Randall