[TR] control head "roller" and electrics

greg at gelhar.com greg at gelhar.com
Thu Sep 27 13:16:11 MDT 2012

> Thanks to all who responded to the control head "roller" quest.
> Daydreaming
> before falling to sleep last night I remembered cleaning out the control
> head
> with solvent and a toothbrush........dumping the remains into a coffee
> can.
> Today revisited the folgers can........dumped it and combed through the
> muck
> found the little "roller".  OMG.........smaller than a Pea.  One of those
> miracle days!

I know. I went to look for one in my spare parts and had trouble not
loosing it on the floor.

> But still having trouble getting lights to work...........nada
> on tail or headlights.  (59 tr-3)   Have re-checked all the dash switch
> connections and they seem in order but a strange thing happens.  I can
> turn on
> the ignition switch and hit the starter and it turns starter as well as
> turns
> on the ignition warning light.

That sounds normal as the generator has not yet begun to produce power.

 After several times of switching on and
> off.............everything goes dead.  no ignition warning light and no
> starter response................... although the starter does turn from
> the
> solenoid on the firewall.

The power source for the lighting goes through the ammeter. I have seen
where the ammeters fail and produce the symptoms you are experiencing.