[TR] One last question NOW Restrictor flow

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 09:12:52 MDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 7:02 AM, Wbeech <wbeech at flash.net> wrote:

> Reading with interest all this about restricting the bypass hose.  What was
> the purpose of this bypass and why didn't it work?

The bypass works just fine.  The idea (as I understand it) was to help the
engine warm-up quickly coolant was circulated through the head via that
bypass hose rather than simply sitting there waiting for the thermstat to
open.  Apart from the benefits to the engine of warming up sooner, it also
delivered cabin heat sooner if the heater valve was open.

When the original style thermostat at last opened the skirt in its design
would slip in front of the opening in the tstat housing that fed the hose,
effectively blocking that flow (no longer needed).

When using a 'modern' thermostat (no such skirt) some choose to partially
block that hose so it does not continue to allow some coolant to bypass the
radiator... the feeling being that returning hot coolant directly to the
head rather than sending (almost) all coolant thru the radiator would
reduce cooling overall.

Clearly there is not total agreement on whether this is necessary or even
wise.

Geo