[TR] TR3A Steering Box Rebuild

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sat Sep 15 15:55:56 MDT 2012

By the way, I do hate to put this in writing, yes, indeed, but...ah, well, you see...uhm...Randall was right.

The steering on my '59 TR3A had been sloppy, and for years I'd compensated by compromising between stiffness and play.

Randall mentioned that when he did a rebuild of his box, he was amazed at the difference and said "I should have done it sooner."

Steering is now much easier and yet no slop in the wheel at all.  Moss carries the worm gear for the end of the steering shaft.  It's splined and peened over, but an easy installation by my machine shop, or for those of you better than I at that kind of thing.  Moss also carries the peg, which was another machine shop installation.  Would have waited til winter, but I wound up with the apron off for something else, so took an extra week to get this monkey off my back.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3a
New Hampshire