[TR] How many TR4s are there?

John Macartney flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 25 00:32:49 MST 2012

40304 sounds highly likely. My own figures culled some years ago from BMIHT
shows 68713 to include TR4A in what we used to call "fully built up"
condition. In other words, the cars were built in their entirity. However,
these figures are by no means final and while probably representing the bulk
of finished cars out of Coventry, they *exclude* the kits built in Belgium for
all EU markets, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. Coventry did not keep
commission number info, with a 1 to 12 prefix and regarded as 12 separately
numbered ranges on overseas built units. All that info mostly vanished when
the various assembly plants were closed.
The only place where I know that
information is still likely to be available in an archive is in London and one
has to be a motor manufacturer to access it - even for simple historical
research.

Jonmac

http://standard-triumph-books.co.uk
<cliff_hansen at earthlink.net>
<triumphs at autox.team.net>
>Sent: Sunday, 25 November 2012, 3:03
>Subject: Re:
[TR] How many TR4s are there?

>Sorry for your troubles, Tim.
>
>40304 if
the production line didn't skip numbers.

Message----- From: Tim Purdy
>Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2012 7:03 PM
>To:
TR List
>Subject: [TR] How many TR4s are there?
>
>I am still going through a
living hell, in putting together my 1964 TR4 back
>together when it got
wrecked while parked--the damage was to the body, bonnet,
>fender, etc, not
frame or engine, but a slight ding to the radiator. Anyhow,
>the other day, I
was asked a most refreshing question, instead of the status
>its been 5 1/2
months since the wreck.

>The question was, how many TR4's are still on the
road. I have not a clue. I
>will add a second question, though I could
probably research it, yet I bet
>that someone knows the answer. How many TR4s
were produced?

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/cliff_hansen@earthlink.net

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/flywheelcoventry1@yahoo.co.uk