[TR] K & N air filters

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat May 19 10:24:00 MDT 2012

> This "k&n won't filter anything" is a myth, unsupported by
> any objective scientific study.

On the contrary, every objective study I've seen shows that the K&N filters
are at the back of the pack as far as both removing and holding dirt.  This
one is a bit less "scientific" but quite valid, IMO.  Notice in the very
first photo, how much dirt went through the K&N and got caught by an
ordinary paper filter.
http://goo.gl/fkMJJ

Want something a bit more quantitative?  Try this one:
http://goo.gl/eQAuW

Note, I fully agree, these tests don't show "won't filter anything".  The
K&N will stop 90% of fine (according to ISO) dust, which is a lot better
than the stock TR3 screens will likely do.  But when an ordinary Delco paper
element filter will stop over 99.9% of fine dust, that means the K&N is
letting through 100 times as much dirt.

Also, it certainly depends on your environment.  Some areas likely don't
have much fine dust.  But Los Angeles not only has a LOT of dust, it is
extremely abrasive.  If I don't wash my car for a week (which admittedly I
almost never do), and then wipe my hand across the paint, the dust will
leave permanent scratches!  I don't know, but I believe that much of the
dust is actually very fine particles of broken sand, created by dust storms
in the desert and carried here on the breeze.

-- Randall