[TR] Interesting Cam Condition

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon May 14 16:05:12 MDT 2012

> "Valvoline Racing oil is not designed for long term use it is for short
> intense use and racing purposes. Classic Car Motor Oil is designed for
> long
> term use in vintage engines and is the optimal oil."

No doubt written by someone with a financial interest in Classic Car Motor
Oil.

There are 3 different kinds of Valvoline racing oil; the two that _don't_
say "Not Street Legal" both have lots of ZDDP and the additive package for
use on the street.  They also exceed the API grades that our engines
require.
http://goo.gl/F0L4f

I ran Valvoline 40W racing oil in my street TR3A for many years (back before
it was called VR1) and it worked very well for me, much better than the
Castrol of the time (which would thin out substantially in just a few
thousand miles).  The Castrol would also leave a layer of sludge in the oil
pan (and rocker shaft), while the Valvoline kept the inside of the engine
amazingly clean (considering its general condition otherwise).

I still use Valvoline today, but I've been using their "street" full
synthetic for the past 20 years or so.  Picked up a couple of boxes of
synthetic racing the last time it was on sale, though, so I plan to give it
a try.  The SynPower doesn't keep the inside of the engine quite as clean as
I remember.

-- Randall