[TR] Float bowls overflowing

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu May 10 10:25:56 MDT 2012

> Can the mechanical pumps put out too much pressure?  The pump
> has been on for a few years and it has run correctly in the past.

Definitely a possibility, but I've never heard of them going up on their
own.  Might be worth checking with a gauge, though.  Most vacuum test gauges
will also read fuel pump pressure.

> Assuming I haven't botched installing the needle valves and
> floats, is there anything besides excess fuel pressure that
> would cause the bowls to overflow?

Most common cause for me is crud in the fuel.  Sometimes the soft fuel lines
can fail and shed bits into the fuel (after the filter) that jam the valve
open.

Defective new parts is also a possibility.  In particular, many plastic
floats don't get along well with gasohol.  And I've seen several "Grose
Jets" that leak for no apparent reason.

One easy test is to hold the lid upside down with the float and valve
installed, and try to blow into the inlet.  The weight of the float should
be enough to hold the valve closed.

-- Randall