[TR] Tr6 steering rack

ADRIAN DIX-DYER dixie4.wales at virgin.net
Sun May 6 01:49:31 MDT 2012

You can manufacture your own a high ratio steering rack yourself by using
the internal rack and pinion from a Triumph Herald or possibly a Mk 3
Spitfire. This would give the required 2.5 turns lock to lock.
This was the method used in the 1960s and 70s by the Ford works rally team
in Europe on the Ford Escort. Yes, it fitted the Ford steering rack casing.
They even used the Herald steering coupling and marketed this coupling as a
superior modification for the Rallysport versions of the Escort at four
times the price of a Herald one!
As for the greasing issue this can only be done at the build stage and then
filled with a 1/10th of a pint of oil evenly split between both ends before
fastening up the rubber bellows.

Adrian TR4A CT 64306 O
Wales UK