[TR] Broken rear stud for rocker arm assembly

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat May 5 09:41:06 MDT 2012

> As the rear pedestal is vital to the oil feed I imagine that
> it starved the
> rocker arm of oil and the assy is toast.
>
> Do you think I did additional damage to the head?

My guess is that something else is going on, not just lack of oil.  One of
my former TR3s had the oil passage to the head totally blocked (likely due
to improper cam bearing installation but I never tore it down to find out).
It was driven probably 10,000 miles that way (the pushrods were rusty!), and
while the wear was fairly severe, it was still running well enough when I
finally discovered the problem.

Unless you don't care what happens, I'd suggest pulling the head for
inspection.  I think you're going to find some foreign object in the
combustion chamber, that blocked a valve from opening and caused the stud to
snap.

Or you could try out one of the new bore scopes from HF.

-- Randall