[TR] Broken rear stud for rocker arm assembly

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Sat May 5 07:28:25 MDT 2012

Hi list.
Took the tr4 out for a drive and about five miles out I heard a bit of
noise I thought might be associated with the transmission. Took it straight
home and parked it.

Few days later the trans level was a bit low so I used my new red harbor
freight oil can pump to fill it. After about 8 pumps I saw the hose fly off
and right down the transmission hole... a few hours later I managed to
extract it from the drain hole.... so I start the car and the noise seems
worse and I hear something like a backfire on throttle blip.   Timing,
nope. Pulled valve cover and saw rear stud nut was gone. Found nut and
washer and stud had snapped at the nut. I used a torque wrench when I
assembled so I don't know why it failed.

I stole a stud from the tr2 and reassembled and adjusted the valves.

No more backfiring, but a lot of racket.

As the rear pedestal is vital to the oil feed I imagine that it starved the
rocker arm of oil and the assy is toast.

Do you think I did additional damage to the head?

Thanks Chris