[TR] questions for the list

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu May 3 11:12:54 MDT 2012

> '74 TR6, Weber DGV carbs, Pertronix electronic ignition,

What did you do about the ballast resistor?  The Pertronix needs to get full
battery voltage, but will overheat if used with the original coil and no
ballast resistor.

> high torque starter.

How is the starter wired in?  Does the relay still supply power to the
starter solenoid?

I don't know how it compares to the TR6 solenoid, but my gear-drive starter
solenoid draws roughly 10 times as much current as the original TR3 starter
solenoid.

> Could it be the starter
> switch?

Certainly a possibility.  But I also discovered (the hard way) that my
gear-drive starter would still turn the engine quite happily, when the
battery voltage under load had dropped down to where the Pertronix would not
work at all.  In my case, the nearly-new battery was simply defective, but
I'm guessing that a marginal connection somewhere (checked your ground strap
lately?) could cause the same problem.  And if the voltage drop were not
quite so severe, it might be just hard to start instead of impossible.

> When I apply the foot brake
> there is
> the sound of air escaping over top of my feet.  The car still stops but
> there
> is a noticeable "hardness" to the brake pedal.  Something is going on
> here.

I'd guess a problem with the brake booster, which operates on air and is
located above your feet.

-- Randall