[TR] questions for the list

John Summers rivers2hills at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 08:40:51 MDT 2012

'74 TR6, Weber DGV carbs, Pertronix electronic ignition, high torque starter.
 I have learned to use starting fluid sprayed into my air filters to get a
nearly instant start.  Before, on a good day, it could have taken several
attempts and a lot of grinding to get ignition.  Now, after a period of years
where I only had to worry about the car starting maybe 6 times before it would
leave me stranded the # is down to 2 or 3 starts per trip.  I have no idea
why.  Recently I was stalled in a parking lot and put my hand on the back of
the starter switch and shook it around and it started.  The next occurance I
did the same thing for 20 minutes and had to ride a tow truck home - where
after unloading, the car started right up.  Could it be the starter switch?
Then yesterday a new sound popped up.  When I apply the foot brake there is
the sound of air escaping over top of my feet.  The car still stops but there
is a noticeable "hardness" to the brake pedal.  Something is going on here.
I've had the car since 1998. My 25th wedding anniversary gift that keeps on
giving.  Or as I like to describe it "my midlife crisis car, only I didn't
know the car would BE the crisis well into my 60's".     I'm starting to lust
after used Nissans or Toyota's.  Stop me before I do something RATIONAL!!
John
Summers
Jacksonville, Fl.