[TR] TR3 Headlight Machine Screw Size

Keith Stewart keithstewart at execulink.com
Tue Mar 20 18:40:06 MDT 2012

Thanks Randall. That is what I guessed but I did want to be sure. My TR3 is a
57, so it is not really "early" unless you include 3As as part of the count
and the set up is the three adjuster set up exactly as you describe. Another
difference between the three adjuster version (as on my 57 TR3) and the two
adjuster version as on the 3A and my 62 TR4. is that with the three adjuster,
the gasket is flat and the adjuster screws and springs go through the gasket
and holes in the body work. With the two adjuster version, the gasket has two
"pockets" for the adjuster screws and springs, so they are sealed off on the
body work side of the holes. You are also right about the #6 sheet metal
screws to hold the retainer ring to the lamp holder.

All of which gives rise to another question. With everything installed as
described, the bucket fits tight to the gasket and body work. What I described
as a flange and you referred to as a lamp holder presses over the three
adjuster screws and then rotates into a locked position (at this point, there
is no lamp in place which is why I used the term flange). Now, the lamp is put
into place and the 3 #6 screws attach the retaining ring to the flange/lamp
holder. In that position, the bottom of the entire assembly (flange, lamp,
retaining ring) sits substantially proud of the body work. In a way, that
makes sense since there are three adjusting screws on the top half holding the
assembly to the bucket but nothing on the bottom half. What am I missing? Or,
what have I done wrong?

Again, thanks for all your help.

Keith R. Stewart
75 Camden Road