[TR] TR3 Headlight Machine Screw Size

Keith Stewart keithstewart at execulink.com
Tue Mar 20 13:08:51 MDT 2012

After having the nose section of my TR3 painted, I am reinstalling the
headlight buckets and gaskets. There is a flat gasket between the headlight
bucket and the body. There is a "flat one side, lip on the other side" flange
that goes over the three adjusting screws in the headlight bucket and then
rotates into position. The body work has 10/32" nuts inserted into square
holes around the perimeter of the opening for the bucket - three on each side.
As I re-install the 1/2" long, 10/32" machine screws, I notice that about half
of them are round head and half are pan head. More importantly, the head of
one type fits completely through the holes in the flange whereas the other
type does not pass through the flange.

My question - do these machine screws pass through the flange, bucket, the
gasket and into the 10/32" nuts on the body work?
or
Do the machine screws pass through the bucket and gasket only and then into
the 10/32" nuts with the flange being placed on and rotated after the bucket
has been tightened down to the body work?

The first sequence would mean some of the machine screw heads would secure the
flange to the bucket because the heads would not pass through the flange. The
second sequence would mean the screws are intended to secure only the bucket
to the body work and the flange is intended to rotate.

The flange referred to above is the one to which the inner chromed ring is
secured by three sheet metal screws in order to hold the headlight in place
before the outer chromed rim is snapped into place.

This was tough (and wordy) to describe, but hopefully you get the idea.
Thanks.

Keith R. Stewart
London, Ontario
E-Mail: keithstewartATexeculinkDOTcom