[TR] Throwout bearing

Jeff fishplate at charter.net
Fri Mar 16 14:23:51 MDT 2012

Shipwright's disease...short version, I went to repair an oil leak in
the transmission.  Now I've got the clutch out, and might as well
replace it.

The old clutch, with stock components that may have traveled 90,000
successful miles, still works fine but is nearing the end of the wear
limit.  I read much discussion about the advantages and shortcomings of
Koyo, Gunst, etc., and there are hints that the stock RHP bearing wasn't
up to snuff.  All those references to RHP seem to be more than 5 or 6
years old, now.

I see no need to reinvent a system that has been working just fine so
far, so my preference is to go back stock, and avoid the kludges of
additional springs and the like that other systems need.  But, if
there's still a quality problem with the RHP bearing, I'd have to pull
the transmission again.

Anyone had any ~recent~ experience with stock TO bearings?

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.