[TR] TR6 Front Suspension Bushing Choice

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 15 12:28:40 MDT 2012

Might not be strictly applicable to your '6 Dennis, as it has a softer
suspension to start with.  But I ran Nylatron for many years in my street
TR3A front suspension.  There was no noticeable (to me) increase in
harshness or noise; and in fact I liked the setup so well that it is now
installed on my street TR3.  It also says something for the longevity of the
Nylatron that it was still useable after roughly a decade of daily driving
(likely in the neighborhood of 100,000 miles), and after a severe accident
that actually tore part of the front suspension away from the frame.

I had actually tried to buy a new Nylatron kit for the TR3, but BFE no
longer carries them.  Apparently they don't sell well, because they last
forever :)

IMO tire choice plays a much larger role in ride quality than the bushings
do.  If you get some really harsh tires, then the bushings may make a larger
difference.  The Bridgestones I have now ride pretty good, but I once had a
set of Michelins that made it seem you could feel every grain of sand in the
road.

FWIW, I also added grease zerks to the joints with the Nylatron, so I could
add a shot of grease from time to time.  Probably not necessary (the
Nylatron is supposed to be self-lubricating), but it seemed like a good idea
to me just to help keep water out of the joint.  I used to work on the
Redondo Beach pier, and ocean spray can corrode even mild stainless steel.

-- Randall