[TR] TR6 Front Suspension Bushing Choice

D&B Lambert blambert at socal.rr.com
Thu Mar 15 09:03:33 MDT 2012

Hello,

In the process of my '71TR6 restoration I am close to the point where I'll
be ordering new front suspension bushings.  As such, I am waffling between
two choices: urethane and nylatron.  Rubber is not an option - I made that
mistake when I first did my TR3 several years ago.  I subsequently got rid
of the rubber and put urethane on that car and have been reasonably happy
with that choice.  I am however, intrigued by the way the nylatron kits are
engineered and I like the precision the nylatron promises, but have heard
rumors of an overly harsh ride with the nylatron.  Is that true? Is nylatron
only for racing?  My intended use for the car: about 6 or 7 thousand
miles/yer, mostly on city/highway roads as well as freeway driving, with one
or two casual autocrosses (usually Triumphest and/or VTR) thrown in.  My
wife and I usually take at least one extended trip per year in the TR.  Here
in SoCal lots of freeway driving is unavoidable, but I do like to find and
drive the 2-lane highways and twisty back roads whenever possible.  And
also, like most of us, I like to go as fast as it's safe on the twisty
parts; it's nice to have responsive and predictable steering.  Is anybody
willing to share their experience with their urethane or nylatron setup?  I
know this has been covered before, and I'm not trying to start a raging
debate - I'm after "been-there-done-that" experience and info.

As always, thanks.

Dennis