[TR] smoke? coming from valve cover vent

Jeremiah Curry jeremiah at curryclan.net
Tue Mar 6 18:38:22 MST 2012

I think this may not be smoke, but rather steam.

I have only driven about 5 miles since I replaced the headgasket (with the
ring of fire mod)  I also spent some time idling/revving the engine in the
garage.

After installing the choke cable and adjusting it, I decided to go for a
shakedown run and see if the problem would get better after a little drive.
Car felt great, maybe even more powerful than before, but I was only about
1/2 of a mile from my house when I started seeing smoke, looked down at the
temp gauge and it was pegged.  Turned around and drove home and found the
coolant over a gallon low.  I am guessing somehow the coolant is getting
burned off and coming out as smoke from the valve cover?

The strange thing is that the oil seems fine (clear not smokey).  I would
think if the water was getting in the vale cover gasket, it would be in the
oil too.  Maybe since I am running pure water, not coolant it just doesn't
discolor the oil?

What should I do next? Still do a compression or leak-down test?

Thanks in advance,
Jeremiah

p.s.  I am probably opening a can of worms, but I left the whole thread
below to add some context, but I have seen some people complain about this.
Why is that?  I have worked in IT for over 10 years and see no real
downside. The size of the messages is minimal. And it means that you can
keep the most recent message and delete the rest if you want one place to
look for refrence.