[TR] soldering

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Sun Mar 4 17:16:24 MST 2012

Echoing Randall...
In my race car, I've eliminated every single crimped joint in any
circuit that I care about.  I remove the insulation from the crimp on
connecter, I crimp the connector on, then solder it, then wrap the
exposed area with heat shrink tubing.  I've also eliminated every
single in-line coupling that I could.  The car had a largely stock
wiring harness (with 2 fuses) when I got the car, now has six fuses -
ignition, fuel, overdrive, cool suit, and a couple more that I don't
recall right now.  All switches use screw terminals rather than the
more modern push on connectors.  For the switches in the top of the
OD where I have no choice but to use push on connectors, I've drilled
small holes through them and put tiny bolts through them, then
covered them with silicone sealant.

I did have one of my screw on switch terminals come loose once since
I did this in 2003.  And, I wore through a wire to the fuel pump
which caused that circuit to blow (THAT won't happen again -
re-routed the wire).

I hate electrical problems.

Tony